Whale Watching Excursion

If you have comments about your trip, this might be a good place to put them out in the public. You must be registered to post, but anyone is welcome to browse. Anything that you don't want public should be posted to the Member's Only Trip Reports section instead.

Whale Watching Excursion

Postby bomba » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:44 pm

I had the privilege to go on a Whale Watching Excursion with my new best friend, Mateo. We took 4 girls with us and it was an awesome trip. Highly, highly recommended. Although the whales are only there during March, I think... you will have to ask Magnum.

The excursion is $90 USD a person. This includes the bus transportation to and from Samana. A stop for breakfast on the way there. The boat that takes you to see the whales and a stop at an island for lunch. The only thing that was not included was any drinks you have for lunch at the island (water, coke, beer, cocolocos, etc.) Everything else was included. Be sure to tip your boat captain and bus driver.

It starts at 6:30 in the morning with a 3 hour drive to Samana Bay and a stop along the way for breakfast. The breakfast was good, scrambled eggs, fried eggs, bread, sausage, ham, potatoes, fruit, juices and water (all included in the trip). Arrive at Samana bay and are introduced to your boat captain. You go out on a 21 foot boat (with a top for shade) that gets up close and personal with the whales. It was a little choppy on the ride out but tolerable and well worth being in your own smaller boat instead of the larger boat with 50 people on board fighting for the rail to get pictures. We were right there next to them. After a couple hours of whale watching you head back in to an island where you will eat lunch (foods included but not the drinks). It is a beautiful island where you can stay for a few hours or less depending on your desire. You can go swimming, lounge in the sun and of course they sell stuff there.
We arrived back at the dock around 1:30 and had a 3 hour drive back, stopping along the way for some roadside snacks (not included).

We had two girls who have a tendency to get seasick, but did not. Came close once or twice but never did. But to them it was worth it and that should tell you how much fun we had.

Recommendations: Hat, sunscreen, sun glasses, bathing suit, towels (to dry off if you swim and as a cushion for your ass), change of clothes if you get wet.

Suggestions: not sure of the limit of persons in the smaller boats. There were six of us, plus the captain and that was probably the maximum. If there are three or four guests going and more girls... I would suggest mentioning to Joseph (the reservation guy) that you want the small boats and will probably require two of them. DO NOT let him put you on a big boat with all those other people... it was much more fun just us in the smaller boat.

There is a video I posted of our excursion on the website.
Last edited by bomba on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bomba

Re: Whale Watching Excursion

Postby bomba » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:25 pm

Compwiz just uploaded some pictures for me of the Whale Excursion.
It's in the public section under "Whale Watching 2015"
bomba

Postby GreenMan » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:51 pm

Damn,

Knew I was missing a good one. Sorry we couldn't have done the Monday trip.

LOOK, still a Future Guest status...LOL

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
GreenMan
Past Guest
Past Guest

Postby compwiz » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:10 pm

GreenMan wrote:LOOK, still a Future Guest status...LOL

No one told me
Compwiz AKA (Diablo)
Next Planed trip to the Villa
Is It Pardee Time At The Villa
compwiz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Trips To The Villa: 2

Postby GreenMan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:45 am

That's OK Compwiz.....Just messing with you...LOL.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
GreenMan
Past Guest
Past Guest

Postby ragtop318i » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:24 am

I can't agree more with Bomba. The whales are a must see. I was there a year ago. I was on one of the larger boats. It was great but I do agree with Bomba that being on a smaller boat would be even better. To see the whales coming toward you then ducking under your boat swimming by, waving at you, and doing their tail dance is a definitely a bucket list experience.
Stay horney my friend.
ragtop318i
Past Guest
Past Guest

Trips To The Villa: 21

Return to Vacation Comments